Sunday, September 4, 2011, 11:15 PM //
0 comment(s)
I feel that our society, our generation, in general, is pretty screwed up.
Why? Just look at us. Our education system, for example.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing any fingers or blaming anyone in particular here, I just want to clear my mind a little for now.
Get some things straight.
I can't help but get the sense that certain classes, like mine, are genuinely at a disadvantage here.
We're constricted or limited by the number of subjects we take for our exams,
having been cut down to merely 6 or 7 subjects while others have the luxury (not exactly, but you get my point) of having 8 or 9 subjects.
True, it is, to a certain extent, our fault that we got stuck in this mess.
But is paying for it with the remainder in our pursuit of education really all that fair?
For instance, in barker, if a person wanted to go to a JC, but got posted to the Arts stream because his sec 2 or 3 results didn't do too well, then his chances of getting there would be quite slim, really.
Based on statistics, only 1 person made it to ACJC from the Arts stream last year.
One person.
Out of the entire class.
And if I remember correctly, this particular student had to appeal using his CCA and affiliation or whatnot.
So there.
This is, without a doubt, one of the various reasons why I've made my decision on getting into Ngee Ann Poly.
Furthermore, I occasionally detect a few hints that certain teachers have, in a way, already given up on our class?
I don't want to make this sound like it's entirely their fault, but it's like, ugh I can't put this in words.
Okay, let's use another example.
Literature.
Our teacher also happens to teach the academically-stronger classes for lit lessons, and he made it clear to us that between the end of prelims to o's, the school would primarily focus on aiding the students whom they feel have the potential to score distinctions.
In other words, more help would be given to the smarter students.
Which means that the weaker ones have less time allocated for them in their preparation for the exams.
Yup, yet another disadvantage.
I believe my dad did mention that there was some sort of a debate that arose pertaining to this matter in the past, but I'm not exactly sure what the outcome was. An ongoing debate, perhaps?
Yeah, so with these few minor disadvantages we have, I hope you understand now why some people have already given up in their studies, why some drop out of school, why some choose not to care anymore.
In my case, regardless of being in the lowest possible express stream class, I honestly do try to put in my best effort to study.
But it gets really difficult when there's so many people out there who proclaim that they've done oh-so-terribly and could've done so much better when the very marks/grades they get is what people like me, with subject-combination restrictions and other drawbacks, can only dream of getting.
You cry over marks or grades equivalent to double that of our scores, how do you think we feel then?
Sigh, it's under these circumstances that I truly feel destitute, like giving up, as if all hope is lost.
So if anyone out there reads this, know this:
If you're in a good class, or even a moderate one, be thankful.
But also be mindful, because not everyone is as privileged as you are.